You buy bananas. You don’t eat them quick enough. They start to brown. You throw them away. You vow never to buy so many bananas again. And repeat.
Is this you? This used to be me too until my sweet tooth awoke and screamed “What are you doing?!” So after a bit of research and trial and error bakes, I’ve got my quick and easy recipe for a delicious banana bread.
Here is what my banana bread/loaf looked like!
Banana Bread Recipe
Ingredients for 1 loaf
- 200g plain flour
- 200g caster sugar
- 50g butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 egg
- 3 very ripe bananas
- Preheat your oven to 180°C / Gas Mark 4.
- Grease your loaf tin with a little bit of butter and line the loaf tin with baking paper.
- In a bowl, mash the bananas.
- Add the flour, sugar, butter, vanilla, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and egg into the bowl with the mashed bananas. Mix well. Your batter will not be smooth, expect it to be lumpy.
- Next, you need to pour the mixture into the loaf tin.
- Bake at 180°C / Gas Mark 4 for 50-60 minutes (maybe longer depending on your oven) or to be on the safe side keep baking it until the skewer you insert into it comes out clean.
A banana bread tastes great but looks a bit simple and boring, so my tip for jazzing it up is to decorate it with icing sugar and carefully placed dried banana flakes. Remember to decorate once the loaf has cooled down, otherwise your icing sugar will run down the side and not set the way you decorate it.
I hope you give this recipe a go and if you bake banana bread a different way, let me know in the comments! x